Monday, February 16, 2015

Steady as She Goes!

This week's post is going to be a light one, as I've been working hard on my senior thesis project. On Tuesday, I wrapped up my first illustration for the project, which I introduced here two weeks ago. The first piece was the book cover for The Argonautica.

The ArgonauticaBook cover for the greek epic. Watercolor, 9.5x13.5", February 2015.© 2015 Nicholas Elias

When painting a book cover, it's important to convey the feeling of the text, an overall sense of what the book is about, without giving anything away. The Argonautica is a greek epic, an adventure spanning the mediterranean, with moments of joy and wonder as well as despair when all hope seems lost. It reflects the mortality of mankind, and emphasizes the roles of friends and family. Jason, the lead hero and merely a man, is never alone on his quest. He is supported by his band of heroes, his powerful lover Medea, and the will of the goddesses Athena and Hera. His great vessel, the Argonautica, is a physical manifestation of that support, and only with it can Jason triumph. For me, the choice of imagery was clear. I used a low and dramatic perspective, with the Argonautica headed towards it's great quest!

Next up is my first interior scene for the epic. I finished the drawing on Friday, and just started painting this weekend. This one took me a while to find my footing with, as it's a more complicated scene and a key one at that. It depicts Medea, Jason, and the serpent who guards the Golden Fleece. I'll be talking much more in depth about this piece in next week's post when it's finished!

This time around I'm taking work-in-progress photos so you can see my process of taking an illustration from a thumbnail to a larger sketch, to a full sized final sketch, and finally the painting. I've shared how I paint in oil when in my posts about figure painting here and here, but the Argonautica paintings are in watercolor, a process which I have yet to share!

Join me on Facebook if you haven't already, because I will be sharing some of those progress photos during the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment