Monday, March 16, 2015

Sicily, Part Three

This week on the blog is Part Three in my series recalling my experience in Sicily last year. If you haven't already, read parts one and two first!



“3/21/14
The Catania market is like a step into another world, separate from not only the U.S. but even the rest of Sicily. The market was bustling with people. Butchers and fisherman shouting over the crowds to sell their stuff. As soon as you get to the fountain separating the market from the piazza, an overwhelming smell of fish and flesh slams your nose. I almost slipped on the unexpected slime on the stone streets. There was a beauty in the market when the sun reflected on the wet ground and through the transparent red awnings amid all the chaos.
I found myself wishing we had markets like this in America. Meats were fresh, fish were still alive. Every part of an animal is sold.
We also witnessed an anti-mafia protest, mostly by young students. They were calling for the police to control the mafia, and were gathered in the piazza naming off members of the mafia.
Catania sits on top of an ancient Roman Catania, which is buried under ash and lava.
Magma is a greek word that translates to liquid fire. Mt. Etna is an effusive volcano with 4 mouths that are individual.
Everything grows in volcanic ash – fertility.”

I wrote this quick journal entry about Catania on the bus as we rode from the city up Mt. Etna. The last part, starting with “Catania sits on top of an ancient Roman Catania...” was actually note-taking from the history lesson our wonderful guide Rosa was giving us on the bus.

Unfortunately I didn't do any sketching in Catania, as we were only there for an hour or two and I was overwhelmed with all that was happening! But I had to share some pictures to give a sense for this place that words couldn't describe. Thank you to Kyle Garron for these beautiful photographs that he took while we were there together! 

Photograph by Kyle Garron

Photograph by Kyle Garron

Photograph by Kyle Garron

Photograph by Kyle Garron


On the opposite page in the journal:
“3/22/14
Taormina's architecture from 1200's, towns grew near Norman Fortifications.
Greek Taormina is from 4th cent. B.C.
-Taurus-cliff shaped like head of bull”

A sketch of a great fountain in a park next to our hotel. The park was built from brick from the Taormina theater. And another history lesson! This was my last full day in Sicily, and we definitely saved some of the best for last.

Sketches from the Taormina Theater

Archimedes was Greek, but Sicilian. Invented magnifying glass & catapults”

“Make your art like your life and your life like your art" - Jack Beal

Sitting in the Taormina theater, we had a couple of hours to explore, sketch and paint. Jeremiah gave one last big talk as we sat there, in the same spot that the great Thomas Cole and so many other artists have been inspired by over the centuries. The experience in Sicily was one that showed me how to do exactly what Jack Beal says in the quote above, relayed to us by Jeremiah. Beal was a teacher and close friend of Jeremiah's, who sadly passed away in 2013. But what I love most about that quote, is that we heard it for the first time on the last day. The previous 9 days showed us the way, allowed us to experience making art like our life, and life like our art. Only after we knew it internally, were we given the words to describe it. And what perfect words they are.


Theater at Taormina, 3/22/14. Watercolor, 8.8x5.75"

I sat at the Theater in Taormina, in the same spot, for about two hours. Breathing it all in, reflecting on the trip, reflecting on what Jack Beal's words meant to me. And in doing so, internalizing it all, I knew that this feeling, and this way of living, was one that I would need to strive to keep with me when I returned to the U.S.

Last week will be the final part in my Sicily series, so don't miss it!

Also, a bit of a public announcement here!
I've been expanding my social media presence! In addition to this blog, my website, Facebook, and deviantART, you can now find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr!
For now, I've uploaded my portfolio on all of these profiles, but over time I will be posting unique content to each. So be sure to follow me on your favorite platforms!

No comments:

Post a Comment